Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Meetings, meetings, meetings - who needs them?

I was attracted to an interesting article on LinkedIn about the challenge of getting individuals to connect during your typical meeting whether that is in the business context or even in a family or social setting. We are ruled by our smart phones or laptops. It is too easy to stay connected in such a way that real communication or interaction seldom happens. I loved some of the alternative suggestions for meeting without our electronic devices or doing a walk and talk type of gathering.

I have had the privilege of helping some kids over the last month who are in the midst of a family difficulty. I know that caring for toddlers to pre-teens isn’t a piece of cake especially under more normal family circumstances, i.e. a home with a full time mom and dad. What makes this last month interesting is the amount of time that has been spent to gather info about the kids and in theory attempt to help them. I know that I tire of being questioned about the same info over and over again. It’s so easy to zone out and miss the importance of what is being discussed.

What needs to change is the way that we choose to interact both as adults and youth. I’ve been to numerous CFT meetings when I was helping an older teen that was aging out of the system. I was overwhelmed when I realized my friend had 8 people he had to relate back to and attempt to satisfy each of their action plans. I struggled with knowing who was the one that really made the strategic decisions so I know my friend was having real difficulty knowing who to follow and what was really expected.

I have watched a stream of individuals question or drill the group of kids, which we are helping. I know that it is easy to have a smile and be cooperative the first couple of times this happens but by the 10th time it is difficult to focus and be real.  I also know that not everyone responds well to the classroom or office setting for talking about difficult issues. I was amazed to see a real playroom at a behavioral center. It would have made more sense to have the kids sit in the midst of this room and interact then be forced to sit for a couple of hours in a small room with total strangers. I would have a tough time paying attention as an adult and I know that kids aren’t going to be any different?

So what is wrong with totally doing away with most meetings and come up with a totally different paradigm that is based upon real communication and what sets up someone to be able to have a positive experience instead of dreading and zoning out? The typical classroom of today is more like a prison instead of a real learning center.  I’ve always believed that it is so much more productive to learn while doing then sitting as a spectator and listening typically to a rather boring instructor?


Ever night we take our dogs for a walk on our canal before going to bed. Last night we took one of our little guys with us. He isn’t use to this type of activity. We looked up into the sky and started talking about what he saw. At first I could tell that he wasn’t necessarily into our identify what’s there game but slowly he got into it. This helped me realize how being out under the stars and watching an assortment of planes and helicopters flying around us became a gigantic classroom that our little friend loved to experience. Why can’t all of life learning be more like this? So I think it is time to ditch the typical business meeting and especially family time for an outside walk, trip to the mountains or just a walk around the various fake lakes in greater Phoenix.

No comments:

Post a Comment