Friday, June 13, 2014

Tyranny of the Urgent or How Often Do I Cry Wolf Before You Respond?

What has to happen in order for someone to get your attention? Is there a certain amount of calls, text messages or FB messages when you will respond? Today I end up being on both ends of this timely discussion. Too many of us, myself included, allow electronic devices to rule our lives 24-7. I get screamed at when I turn off my iPhone at night and receive an urgent call or text but don’t respond until 5am.  I know as a little kid my mom would always tell me to not ask for help unless I really needed it and if there was a true emergency it was ok to scream and expect help quickly. The challenge today is too many cry wolf when helped isn’t needed and when circumstances truly require the 911 response the group that has been responding are now purposely out of touch.

I get calls or texts from people all of the time asking for something that ranges from getting their house painted or having granny’s house fixed to someone needing a bus pass that waits until the last minute. I do respond quickly when it is something about no food in the house, no power in the summer time or medical help. It is never easy to know what is truly important and is just someone wanting attention. I can get annoyed at the person, that isn’t willing to help himself or herself and take positive steps to make life happen for them.

So I get it that everyone around me isn’t always going to respond to an e-mail or a text from me instantly. Yeah, sometimes this hurts me and other times I get it that my friends are super busy and might go a day without responding and that isn’t the end of the world. The difficulty is dealing with at risk people that aren’t always likely to respond to circumstances in a healthy fashion. I don’t want someone to have a total melt down that becomes toxic because someone didn’t listen.  I can laugh at myself at times when I get bent out of shape about something that looking back is totally ridiculous. The difficulty is that not everyone else is always able to look back at life, laugh and learn from poor choices that were used as an excuse to get attention instead of thinking first.

One of the classic issues in my neighborhood is that at risk people will go to the Emergency Room for something like a hangnail or symptoms of the flu. The difficultly is that they end up making the ER Room full and difficult for someone with a real life threatening need to get help because they have to make their way through the crowd. So how do you help yourself first and then those around you to better see what is really important and what can wait till tomorrow?

My mom was always the pragmatist that would say it’s always better to take care of what you can today and don’t let it go until tomorrow. She was one that would help me see that I could deal even with what looked like emergencies to discover that it wasn’t a big deal but I made it a big deal. I will always remember an accident that happened with one of the neighbor kids. We were playing around with air guns shooting dirt clods at each other. One of the outside kids got in the way and ended up getting wacked by the air gun. Unfortunately for him he had a cut on his head that bled like anything. His mom panicked and came to my house accusing me and my friends of trying to kill her son. My mom quickly intervened and did first aid and the emergency was adverted and what were really just guys messing around stayed that. Yet, I know if my mom hadn’t been there this lady would have called 911 and the police and fire engine would be at our house.

So how do we ascertain what really is an emergency instead of just me wanting attention because I’m jealous of someone else? This will always be a difficult call to make. I think stepping back and asking yourself how often everything in your life becomes a crisis helps give perspective on whether you are someone that just lives from self made crisis to crisis.  I know that I can be an adrenaline junky at times. Yet, I don’t really want to live as if it’s the crisis that makes my life rock.


I read today on LinkedIn one of the cutesy quotes that I think gives a better way of looking at life. ‘Start a kindness ripple where you are today and imagine how far it will go.’  So instead of looking for a crisis start a kindness ripple!

No comments:

Post a Comment