Thursday, June 19, 2014

No One Likes to Wait!

I know that the building of character is an awesome process. The challenge for me is that I know what I’m supposed to do but don’t like the waiting game. I want to know the outcome of a situation before it finishes. It is so easy to always be in a rush assuming that being busy equates with being productive and effective in all you do. Yet, the reality is that God gets our attention and puts our lives on hold so that I have no choice but to wait. The more I scream for instant information the more likely God will put me in the slow mode.

Today I’m waiting for my Anne to come out of surgery after having a simple procedure done. Actually, it’s a painful procedure for her but for me matter it is a matter of waiting an hour or so. The challenge is that we aren’t going to know the results of this procedure for a few days. I know that in the past I would stay busy so that the time would fly and the day would come with the news, whether that be good or bad news. Today as I sit outside a café at the hospital I want time to be still and allow my Anne to be able to walk away from all of the responsibilities she has and be able to catch her breath. Yet, I know the reality is that she will be doing homework and thinking in the back of her mind what will life be like in a few days?

I can remember over 17 years ago receiving a call from my parents about them coming out for a visit. Little did I know when I received that call I would hear the news that my mom had breast cancer. My parents were rather calm and capable of explaining what was going to happen to my mom. Yet, for me my personal world would unravel with the news that my mom most likely had a terminal disease that would take her life. My world for the most part as a kid and teen revolved around her. She was the one who taught me how to drive, allowed me to sneak out on my first date and the one who taught me most about facing life’s tough news.

It is too easy to always make everything about yourself in life. I know that I’m not the one having a needle injected into my body to do a biopsy on a potential life threatening disease. I know that after my mom’s initial surgery after the c word became a normal part of my vocabulary I watched someone I loved began a life that focused on too many doctor visits and the inevitable issue of always being sick because of chemo. I didn’t realize how this would prepare me to become an advocate for my dad and kids that come out of at risk homes.

I know that it takes a little bit or a lot of being a bulldog or in our neighborhood a pit bull to get people’s attention. I can remember a few weeks ago having to persuade someone that they were going to do intake on three kids and not just two and not make me come back for another three hours of interrogations. I initially asked nicely then said if this individual wouldn’t do it I needed to speak with their supervisor. Surprisingly I got this person’s attention and all three of my kids were doing intake together.

I know that the future isn’t in my hands regardless of how intelligent I happen to be or how truly organized I am because of my high tech tendencies. Yet, thinking over my life in the last 50 years I’m not sure I would want it any other way. It is true that we learn life both backwards and frontwards. I know that the past doesn’t have to determine my future; yet, if I don’t pay attention to yesterday’s journey I’m most likely going to repeat some foolish choice or make another dumb mistake. I know that trust is a big issue in today’s society. Few know if they can trust more than a few with life issues. I’m blessed to have lots of friends and family who I can trust and know that they would step up for my better interests and especially those of my Anne.

So as I wait in this outdoor café area at a big hospital I should recognize that the lack of Wi-Fi isn’t a big deal, yet, for my high tech nerves it was at first. What is most important is to make what’s really important be at the forefront of my heart and thoughts today. Yes, there are many distractions around me that make waiting a real pain, but today I’m going to put those aside and give my real attention to the one I love.


Yes, waiting isn’t always part of our schedule but at times it helps one to slow down and appreciate what is truly important in life and not allow stuff to get in the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment