Thursday, July 17, 2014

Help I Need Somebody= YOU!

I’ll be the first to confess to the fact that I grew up in the 60’s and was obsessed with the music coming out. I loved what then was called acid rock now it would be heavy metal but also enjoyed the soul-searching ballads of the Beatles. One of my favorite Beatle tunes would have been Help! It aptly portrayed life from being totally independent purposely of others thinking that you are capable to live totally on your own to someone who has crashed and burned and sees the need for a friend’s help.

This morning I did a quick McDonald’s breakfast with our three little guys who were up rather early, like 7am, to go on a field trip to a Trampoline type of place. As we are finishing our Sausage Egg McMuffin breakfast I see a young mom with a little one outside. Her little daughter looked very cute and was dressed nicely. I knew that she was going to ask for some help. My challenge is that I don’t give out cash but would buy her a breakfast. I quickly explain that I had to put the guys in the truck along with my case and would be back. We walk inside the McDonalds and I get her four of the same breakfast sandwiches as we had just enjoyed.

As I’m paying for the breakfast she quickly smiles and says a big thank you. I know that the McDonald’s employee must think I’m a little unusual as I have bought breakfast for a group of little guys and now a single mom with a baby that are definitely not my own but I have chosen to care for them or give them help. I know as a kid and teen growing up I never wanted to ask for help. I prided myself on figuring stuff out without having to raise my hand or god forbid go up to the teacher and ask for instructions, while everyone else laughed on the inside.

As I have aged and realized that I don’t know everything, not that I ever really believed that but was too proud to ask for help, I’ve figured out that to do anything different outside of my present box I will have to ask for HELP. Yes, I’m an old guy that does want to learn ‘new tricks’. I pride myself on being computer literate but at times I’m ready to scream when my wife has a meltdown over something that is rather simple but to her it’s very complex.

I spent half of yesterday in court with some sisters who were being called on the carpet by another sister. The outcome of the hearing I knew before it happened. The sister with the ‘hired guy’ had her ducks in a row and the sister who didn’t have a hired gun came across as expected, sloppy and ill prepared. Yes, my friends needed real help which only someone that is only qualified could give.

I will be quicker to admit today that I need help than 20 years ago. I know that most adults are typically too proud to ask for help because the perception is that something must be wrong with them. The reality today is that if you don’t ask for help, mentoring or advice than something isn’t ok. My goal in life is not to be a sponge or a banker with the perception of having unlimited funds. I want those around me that are figuring out life to step up and become self-sustainable.

It’s tragic to see someone that is struggling in life and has the mindset that no one really cares. Regardless of whether this is true the person’s desperation can lead to real depression, which can lead to both physical and spiritual sickness. This is when it becomes a matter of life and death if someone else is willing to see the need of those around them and be willing to help.


Help I do need someone to be there and be a friend, a helping hand or willing to pay for a burger or a cold drink. Discover how you can be a real help to a friend or that stranger who you are too quick to judge until you hear their story. A big thanks to Paul, George, John and Ringo!

No comments:

Post a Comment