Thursday, July 10, 2014

Never too young or old to learn!

I just lifted this quote off of LinkedIn, ‘If you are not willing to learn, then no one can help you, if you are determined to learn no one can stop you’. Last night I had an incredible discussion with one of my amazing teens. She is someone that has risen above her circumstances. We were talking about the impact of not having a real dad in your life. She is someone that has siblings from the same mom but have four different dads. She just graduated from High School with a 4.7 GPA.

As the rest of the youth were out playing basketball or pool at the community center we sat and talked about real life issues. I continued to be amazed at how one person can make up all the excuses in the world for why they aren’t able to learn or do something different. Yet, this teen has defied the odds and received a scholarship that only a few get in Arizona. What made the difference between her and another teen or adult who is sitting around waiting for life to come to them?

I have been around this teen over the last 6 years. I have never heard her make an excuse for anything in her life. She has always been someone that isn’t afraid of challenges in life. She was totally honest and talked about her dad for the first time to me. He really hadn’t been in her life much until this last year. She was fortunate in that one of her brother’s dads is like a dad to her. The reality is that she has grown up being driven to succeed and the question is why?

It is very difficult to let someone into your life who has been invisible most of your adolescence. What’s so unusual with this teen is that she is so balanced when it comes to her view of herself and those around her. She is a very beautiful person in many different ways and instead of her being arrogant or conceited she is always quick to help and reach out to those around her. I was so impressed with her approach to be able to learn how to relate back to her dad. She is willing to give her dad an opportunity to get to know her but not control her.

I am around others, both teens and adults, who truly believe that life owes them something. They are so slow to get it that they have to own up to their circumstances. If you happen to get a ticket for something crazy like not having a token for riding the light rail that becomes a ticket that can turn into a bench warrant for your arrest. So instead of paying $2 for the rail he gets a$25 fine that now is up to $100 fine. I get that we all have different gifts, challenges and opportunities in life. The question is what has to happen to get someone to step up and at least try something for the first time to discover that with some work, persistence and patience you can ultimately do almost anything?

How does someone who is older, like myself, not fall into the trap that we already know everything? I have watched a group of young college students that are part of my life continue to teach me about life. I stand back at times and wonder how a few of my interns are able to cope with so much going on around them without having a meltdown. What I’m discovering is that passion and vision have lots to do with life’s journey. Those who have a sense of direction are more likely to become learners and influencers. I want to continue to be someone that has vision and passion in life but this won’t happen if I isolate myself. I’m discovering that I need to continue to read and study regardless of whether it is in a classroom or on the street.


So it’s true no one is ever too old to learn or too young to figure something out for the first time!

No comments:

Post a Comment