Saturday, July 19, 2014

Rest – how to avoid becoming an adrenaline junkie!

I could never fathom my wife becoming an adrenaline junkie. Yet, over the last two years of her life she has been working in a trauma setting where all of life is focused on saving a life or explaining to family members or friends what had just happened. I’ve always been someone that loved a fast paced life. I have always rebelled about sitting behind a desk in an office. I have avoided this type of life over the last 30 years and made either Starbucks or my office in my house my hideaway.

I attempt to reconcile my heart with my head when it comes to my need to slow down or should I say actually stop at times and literally do nothing. Is it possible to take a vacation and actually leave your iPhone at home or my Mac Air in my cool SF bag brief case? I admit that it isn’t easy to let go of the false notion that the world really needs me 24-7. Yet, if I don’t practice being still and taking some time off then I live the illusion that I’m really indispensible to God and the world.

So how do I face up to my ‘God’ complex where I believe that I’m needed by all 24-7? It is great being involved with many different types of people that run the gamut between different ages, socio-economics, religion and racial backgrounds. I can actually get high off of how many text messages or e-mails that I see on the face of my iPhone. Yet, most of this is self-generated and to be honest seldom is something that is life or death matters. So why is it so difficult to drink decaffeinated coffee or soda and choose to not get the getters or a head ache?

The false notion that being busy equates to being effective or important is a sad commentary on today’s society. I enjoy getting up early which means I’m able to get more done than those that struggle with seeing the sunrise each day. It is too easy to think that because I accomplish more than someone else that I’m better then them or should get paid more. The alternative, which I can’t handle, is being slackers who prides themselves on being late or last and leaves the mess for someone else to clean up.

I know that rest is different for everyone so I can’t be so quick to judge or say my way is always the best to get some R & R. I enjoy reading and just doing next to nothing. I admit that it has taken my wife of 40 years a considerable amount of time to train me to not have to attempt doing 10 things in a day instead of 1 or 2. I believe it is important to figure out in your own world how to detach yourself from the busyness of your work, family and friends on occasion. It should be rocket science that even God choose to have at least one day set aside to chill but with a purpose.

The opportunity we all face is to discover the power of taking a break with a purpose that gives us an opportunity to catch our breath and get recharged for tomorrow or next week. My struggle or tension, as some would say, is that I’m both a morning person and night owl at the same time. This means that eventually I crash and have to take a nap or actually go to bed early. So it isn’t strange in my household to have me sneak up to my bedroom and shut the door. I love to read my iPad and learn about the world today or continue to read on Kindle. So I confess that adrenaline is so much more fun than resting and being in neutral. Yet, as I get older I realize that I need some time away if I’m going to make a difference in the world around me and become a healthier person.

I know that the goal isn’t to totally avoid the adrenaline high or becoming a legalist about how often you rest, take vacations or breaks at work. The real goal is to find a balance where you can have a healthier or less toxic life that isn’t attached to a caffeine high or running on empty with adrenaline keeping you going.





No comments:

Post a Comment