Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Walking and Working Together is the Key to Life Transformation!

I know that everyone has been told that to understand another person’s path in life you need to walk a mile in their shoes.  Last night I decided to cancel one activity in order to spend time with my intern’s parents and little sister. The night before we had one of our kids, who we have taken into our home, act out. I can rationalize to some extent why someone would choose to act a certain way but then there’s always a limit. My little friend totally lost it and was screaming rather foul language pointed towards the one who has helped him the most in the last 2 years of his life. He packed his little bag with his clothes and then marched out of the house hoping to find out whether the grass is greener on the other side. Eventually he fell into a deep sleep after physically hitting the wall, the floor or me with his hands and feet for almost 45 minutes.

We had a great day swimming at one of the nicer city pools with a large group of our adults, teens and kids. When we got home it was time to dive in and get our house clean and get dinner going for our special guests. My Anne and I love to entertain but want to have a nice house with great food. I had assigned different tasks to all of our guys and each decided to follow through with gusto making the house shine, except for one. All of a sudden a simple request like spot mop the house turned into this tirade about the fact that this wasn’t his chore so why should he have to do it. He then proceeded to be rebellious but made it clear that he wasn’t acting out as bad as his brother from the night before.

This made for a rather interesting evening as he paraded around the house, backyard and frontyard in his boxers alone. He was pushing me to the limit thinking that I was going to yank him into the house and make him do something. Trust me, I truly wanted to do this but was too busy making dinner and getting ready for our guests.  So he ends up watching us eat and finally decides to participate. The fascinating part of the evening is that we end up talking about how to create partnerships with different people groups to help someone like our little guy learn how to control his emotions and not lose it instead of taking out their anger on my awesome intern or me.

It is so easy to make snap judgments where you truly think you understand someone else’s life situation and that you have the easy 1-2-3 solutions. I attempted to explain the cultural dynamics of the different ethnic groups in our neighborhood and how each had different worldviews that colored their perceptions of life that influenced how they lived day to day. It is difficult for many that live outside under resourced neighborhoods to get it that kids and adults actually go to bed hungry at night and that sleeping in a house or apartment where the utilities have been turned off makes for a sweaty sleep. I know that my little friends who are living with me sometimes think that I’m really weird and strange because of the food I eat and the fact that I don’t have girlfriends in addition to my wife.

I laughed when I listened to my wife explain to the oldest of our guys that she hadn’t slept with numerous men or had kids from different dads. We have been trying to help our pre-teen who is now celebrating entering puberty that having sex at the age of 11 or 12 is not something we applaud or see as being normal. Yet, how can I expect my little friend to see from my life perspective that my way, which seems boring to him, is the best path to pursue? So how do I help someone understand my life choices or me theirs unless I deliberately walk with them and work with them?

I believe that the way to see a neighborhood be transformed is when those that have discovered the real path to responsible and sustainable living give back to the community where they were raised. It is too easy to walk away from the unfortunate experiences of your youth assuming that moving to the burbs is the solution. How do I reach a fourteen-year old guy who now is decorating his ankle with a high tech bracelet that won’t allow him to go out much beyond his front yard? He truly believed that helping a friend steal a car was the coolest. I gasped when I saw his brother and cousins act as if what he did was totally ok. The downside was that he got caught, especially after having put $20 of gas into the stolen car.

One of the most amazing experiences of my life that has influenced everything I do is volunteering with Habit for Humanity. I was fortunate to be on the local board for 8 years and be involved with different roles. What stood out is the power of partnerships and giving a person an opportunity to help themselves and see the sense of accomplishment that happens. It is too easy for some to think that Habit is giving a big hand out to a family in the form of a house. Yet, the reality is that the Habitat Home owners will have worked hundred of hours along side various volunteers who teach them about building a house and also community.


What strikes me as I do some reflecting is that I don’t get it when it comes to other people or teen’s choices in life. It is so easy for me to assume that my way is the right way when in reality I’m just as fragile and likely to have a meltdown as the next person. So clearly the world, my neighborhood or family would be so much healthier if I choose to walk and work together with those that live around me and stop thinking that I'm better than them!

No comments:

Post a Comment