Monday, July 21, 2014

How Do We Change the World?

I admit that I’m getting old and one of the difficult aspects of this is remembering all of the tragedies or bad stuff of life. This last week has been another time for grieving and asking the ongoing WHY question as mankind continues to purposely kill each other. It is unthinkable that the Russians, especially their president, can act as if giving extremist types high end weapons that can shoot down commercial jets flying at 33,000 feet doesn’t make you responsible for this tragedy. Much like the US has done similar things over the years thinking it is going to help when in the end only more lives are lost.

There was a quote by Leo Tolstoy on LinkedIn that puts the onus for changing the world not on others that are perceived as the cause or bad guys but on the average person, like you or me. Is it possible that my choice to following the right path in life is going to actually influence a world outcome? It is so easier to always put the blame for the present setting in the world of today on something besides myself? So how do my life choices or commitments shape the world? Is it possible for the transformation of my life to really impact anyone?

It is fascinating to do a study on individuals who changed the world, whether that is for good or for evil. We can see how history shows us that one person can change the direction of the world. The challenge is that we only believe that is for the people that have the resources. It is interesting to see how many underdogs of the past rose to the top because of hard work, determination and their unwillingness to ever give up. Many of our world leaders, think of our presidents, have come out of rough circumstances with the passion and mission to make a real difference and not use their position of power and influence for self-gain.

I was watching a great movie on HBO, #42 that was about the life of Jackie Robson and how he impacted not just the world of sports but also the mindset of a country. As I’m watching this incredible movie a commercial comes on about a car company that wants to spread random acts of kindness. So they buy someone groceries or drive home a few that have clearly enjoyed themselves too much at the local sports bar. The media unfortunately focuses on the tragedy side of life more often then the amazing story of people going out of their way to change circumstances so others can have a better life.

The ripple effect happens all of the time. As I’m watching this movie about sports, the American Dream and racism it hits me that so much of what we believe and practice is a by-product of those around us. It isn’t easy to stand up against the fads of the day or what is perceived as being the more popular mindset. Yet, if the world is to be a better place with hope for all tomorrow I have to do something today that will continue a change in my life and the lives of those around me. My parents both grew up in a very racially tense city, yet, they choose to raise me as a kid that looked beyond the color of another person’s skin but to look at their character and attitude above all before I make any judgments.
Is it easy to see self-change happen? Clearly it has always been easier to point the finger at someone else. If I want to be in better physical shape I have to decide today, not tomorrow, to be better at exercising, watching purposely what I eat and choosing to have a more sane schedule where I don’t attempt to stay up 24-7 all of the time. I know that it is so easy to make excuses, which can actually be true and allow theses to stop me from ever accomplishing my goals. I can’t hide in my own bubble and expect the world to be any different tomorrow!

I believe it is possible to learn from the past and see how those that rise above the crowd had passion, commitment and perseverance that left its mark on the world. I have to be willing to see the world as my community, neighborhood or family. I have to start present tense being someone who isn’t afraid to look in the mirror and do my own self-assessment. It is even more difficult to actually choose to do something with your life that sees real change take place. I believe our journey in pursuing a healthier life style will change the attitudes and actions of those around us.


So maybe my choice to be less quick to judge someone I see will influence someone else to give an opportunity to someone that would have been forgotten. This person might become the individual that stands up to the bully in the neighborhood, at work or decides to run for local office.

No comments:

Post a Comment