Thursday, September 11, 2014

Alarmed?

Last night in the middle of our tutoring time with about 40 kids, teens and various tutors the fire alarm went off. I was in the middle of doing something and wasn’t close to the alarm that had been pulled. I knew it would be a few seconds before a few adult volunteers most likely would be chasing a teen that was the likely suspect. Fortunately the staff at the community center are good friends and share the same passion for seeing teens that are going down the wrong path get on track.

Unfortunately before this incident I had a conversation with a couple of teens that had been accused of stealing $40 from one of my interns that wasn’t the best. I told them they couldn’t participate in anything until one of them fessed up and either admitted to doing it or was bold enough to say who had done it. The sad fact for these guys is that their present lives are one where they continue to do foolish things really believing that they won’t get caught or even worse that it doesn’t matter.

I had lunch with a good friend who is going through a transition in life where he stepped down from doing something he is passionate about for the last 18 years. We had a great time at one of those retro type downtown places. I realized as we were sharing stories, I had the summer from ‘hell’, that he was actually the one that was hurting and had the alarm going off. I felt for him but saw great hope that he was discovering the next phase in life whereas my young friends were going down a path that would end up with them serving some type of detention or jail time in the near future.

There are life alarms going off all over the place regardless of where I turn. I’m around too many people and teens that really believe that everything that happens to them is always someone else’s fault and clearly not their responsibility to do anything to change the circumstances. I know that the reflection many will have today on 9-11 will bring many emotions of sadness, anger and outrage for how anyone can cause so much destruction of life in a such a purposeful fashion. It rings that alarm that mankind has significant issues that can’t be ignored otherwise history will repeat itself.

Much like the ongoing battle with militant groups throughout the world make it impossible for there to be a sense of peace of overarching hope that ‘things’ are going to get better. I know that it is so easy to rail on those in power and authority, i.e. our President, without understanding that the alarms that are going off around us should cause everyone to take a stand against evil and do something in a positive fashion to see life improve, especially for the little person that is hurt most by the oppression from those with the power.

The other day I had an annoying alarm go off in my mind as I attempted to start my truck. The battery was dead regardless of what I could hope for or do L I jump started my truck with the little van and make the trek to may favorite auto parts dealer. The good news for me is that I could get someone else to get the battery out and replace it with another that will last about the same 2 years regardless of how much I spend.

Yes there are times in life where alarms go off around us which shouldn’t surprise anyone. It’s what makes life fascinating and exciting. The opportunity is whether we stand up, run away or pretend we don’t hear the annoying sound. I know that my life won’t improve if I don’t take action, which for me meant going to a chiropractor for a week. I couldn’t pretend any longer that the searing pain in my lower back was imaginary. Today my back alarm is off but I appreciate the fact that pain is a reminder that I must care for myself.

My passion is to live in such a fashion that those around me can see that there is hope regardless of how circumstances might seem. Yes, the words of Sir Winston echo out, “Never, Never, Never, Never, Never GIVE UP!”



No comments:

Post a Comment