Tuesday, September 16, 2014

My Greatest Fear in Life? 'Loosing My Dog?

I will admit that at times I’m afraid of the dark, being alone, getting a letter in the mail from the IRS or being in a crowd where I can’t be in the center. The reality is that fear can either get me to move in the right direction or it will end up preventing me from being able to live in the present tense.

I typically react to people that always wait to the last minute to do normal things in life. I get texts or calls from people who need help. I’m more than willing to help especially when someone thinks ahead and has some sense that I’m not going to drop everything at that second to rescue anyone. I understand the choice of being someone who has been raised to be a go-getter type that can be annoying to those who like to take their time or expect others to do it for them. I can blame my mom for being someone that always pushed to not put off what you can do today instead of waiting till tomorrow.

The challenge or opportunity for many is to get away from the give up mode and start taking responsibility for circumstances. Yes, I know that often what causes a person to stop caring or trying might have nothing to do with them but circumstances around them. I do tire of the excuse game when it’s always someone putting off the inevitable or giving into the pressure of those around them that always expect someone else to do it for them.

So how does someone go from being fearful of living to someone that is willing to give their all and dive into circumstance regardless of whether they have all of the answers? Too often doing too much analysis before actually doing something paralyzes us. Fear at times can push us to do something that we take for granite or assume that it will get done.

Today I spent about 20 minutes screaming for my dog, which was chasing a rabbit, to come out of the cotton field. Yes, I was fearful of losing my favorite dog. (Actually I have 4 dogs so I can’t really say this.) Usually Freckles goes off for a few minutes then comes flying back out with this happy grin after having chased that coyote or rabbit. Today was different after my usual five minute call when nothing happened. So what do I do? Wait for another few minutes, keep looking or fearfully scream?

I did something instead of just waiting and hoofed it around the cotton field. The only dilemma was that I was in the wrong area. I know that Freckles was running frantically trying to find her way out of the apparent maze. She was lost and could hear us but didn’t know which way to go. I was so relieved to see her pop out her head and meet back up with my Anne and the rest of the dogs. I was emotionally exhausted and honestly worried that she was gone.

It is this type of experience that pushes one to rethink how they do things. I’m a risk taker so I understand that life without the leash can be lots of fun for my dogs but also run the danger of them dashing off or getting hurt.  So what happens when I live life in the fear mode? What happens when I’m too quick to give in to the pressures around me to conform? What takes place when I do give in and allow the voices around me to stop me from living and then start existing? My mother’s voice echoes in the background, ‘Don’t give up! Give it your all! See what happens.’


So as you think about how you are going to live tomorrow discover that fear doesn’t prevent death or bad stuff from happening and ultimately stops you from being able to experience life to its fullest! So instead give life your all and discover what can happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment