Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Little Things Do Matter!

So often in life I’m so busy doing what I perceive to be what is truly important only to miss out on the little things that ultimately are more important. I’ve read most of Covey’s books over the years and the issue that always screams back at me is that being busy is never a substitute for quality relationships. Hopefully no one will actually believe that when they are on their deathbed that they had wished to have spent more time at the office or on the road away from family and special friends.

What’s really important in life? Is it that promotion, funds in the bank, that large house or specialty car or something totally different? I’ve come to discover that it isn’t the ‘what’ of life that really counts but the actually the ‘how’. As I get to do a large variety of things in my work what usually satisfies me is being with little kids at times. I get to observe and listen to life from a totally different slant. Often I get an earful that helps to keep me young and more apt to see what is most important in life – healthy relationships and not THINGS.

The challenge is that too often we get caught in the pursuit of things in life and the false notion that success in life is defined by a long list of accomplishments. The more aggressive and direct I become the more likely great things will happen to me and those around me. Don’t misunderstand me because I’m truly someone that is driven to see life get better but not from a perspective that is totally geared towards possessions, position or power. I reflect back on the impact of spending time with a lonely senior or an elementary student who feels left in the shadows by their older siblings or parents.

I have chosen to rethink what I consider to be little or not so little in life! Attending a special birthday party for a niece or nephew or the grandma who has adopted you over the years should take priority over any type of business meeting. Yet, too often we get looks from those around us that we are crazy thinking we could go home on time for dinner or get away early on a Friday for that special retreat with your spouse or special friends. It’s as if the world totally depends upon you to stay late assuming that your efficiency increases after eight hours of work.


One of the favorite expressions of my teens is that the struggle is real. The assumption is that everyone has issues in life that cause problems. This is real life and the answer to the struggle is to make the little things that don’t seem to matter in life actually matter. So I do care about how another person feels regardless of whether it is considered worthy of my time. So yes that smile and hello to a stranger is important! Taking the time and effort to help someone stranded who is a total stranger might be what helps someone actually have a better day and a better life!

No comments:

Post a Comment