Friday, September 26, 2014

Leftovers? Toss or Transform?

As I kid that grew up in a rather normal home where I was told by my mom to finish what was on my plate or she would ‘beat me’. My mom was an amazing cook and seldom did she make something that I didn’t devour usually all at once. I’ve lived around people most of my life that had the means to eat as much as they wanted as often as they wanted. Over the last decade of my life I have lived in a marginalized neighborhoods where the experience of many is that there isn’t enough to go around. Tough choice; do I put money on the empower box, so there are lights and more importantly air for the next day or so or do we eat?

As I have had a family over the last 40 years my wife has always joked about what you didn’t finish on your plate would be given to some starving child in Africa. We would laugh at this but my wife actually lived in Ethiopia for a year in the early 70’s and saw first hand the impact of serve famine and draught on everyone. So most today don’t believe that anyone could be starving in any large city in America. Yet, I know from first hand experience that leftovers for many would be considered a treat or even a feast.

As I have aged I’ve become more selective and don’t get thrilled over leftovers usually. So we joke about it and in our home context there is always someone who comes over that usually empties out the frig, so the leftovers vaporize. It’s when I’m on vacation that I rebel a little if I get stuck eating something that’s a week old. I totally understand not wasting and sharing in a larger context. I’m fortunate to get leftovers from my Starbucks that become special snacks for many would don’t have treats often if at all.

My real point in this blog is that too often people are made to feel like leftovers. You can be around someone who you make feel like a leftover, which can be intentional or accidental. I know that those that aren’t blessed with sports ability tire of being chosen last in a team setting. Whereas those that are awesome at athletics get picked first and get to help select the team. I’ve had the experience of finding something in the frig that has grown some type of odd-looking fungus and has a rather fascinating smell. As people are being treated like leftovers at times they can start feeling like them too. It doesn’t take long before someone gives up on themselves and becomes careless about life.

I’m not sure if there is a solution to leftovers without better planning or heightened consumptionism. There is a path to help someone around you not feel like a leftover. I’m amazed at how a quick hi, hello or my name is……. what is your name can help someone go from feeling like that mildewed leftover to someone who is alive and able to take on the world. The difficulty is that you can always toss out the leftovers in the frig after a week but people, kids, teens or seniors can’t be tossed but can be transformed!


So instead of tossing someone out of your life consider what has to happen to help you and them live a transformed life?

No comments:

Post a Comment