Friday, September 19, 2014

Kindness Goes a Long Way!

Over the last decade I have been part of a more community-centered life where our passion is to see youth and young adults get it. The reality for many growing up on the other side of the tracks is that it is so easy to always be resentful and assuming that the world owes you something. I’m involved with doing mercy work all of the time where the goal is to help youth go from being takers to givers. So often we will help someone out that is in need who we don’t know. Yes, there are usual pan handlers on the street corners but I’m talking more about people that are around you that have great needs but at times are too ashamed to ask for help.

I was picking up a couple elementary aged guys this last week. When I pick them up from school we will usually make a pit stop at Circle K or QT. I’ll let them get something for a dollar. They love scavenging through the store to see what they can afford. This week I decided to go to QT and get gas and let the guys get a treat. As we are walking around there was an older lady who asked me if the guys were mine. This is always a difficulty questions to answer because I’m not their parent but I’m with them and love them as if they were my own. I replied to the lady with a hearty YES and then we continued shopping.

As we approached the checkout area the grandma type person volunteered to pay for the guy’s snacks. I was truly shocked or actually overwhelmed because I couldn’t ever remember having someone actually volunteer to pay for any of my kids. (Clearly the lady wouldn’t have paid for my gas if I had been alone.) My little friends quickly say a big thanks to the grandma. I still pay for my gas and as we walk out ask the question of my guys, well what do you think?

This started a conversation in the van as we drove to their house that was interesting. I asked how often someone had done something like that for them who was a total stranger? They were quick to say NEVER. So what caused this lady to show a heart to them? Clearly they are cute kids that were dressed nicely in their school uniforms. I don’t think I looked homeless or in great need.


After dropping of my guys I was truly feeling blessed because someone had gone out of their way to be nice, do something special and then smile at us in a genuine fashion. It would be so amazing if more people followed this grandma’s act of kindness. So next time you’re at the store go ahead and shock someone and offer to pay for their drink or snack!

No comments:

Post a Comment