Monday, September 22, 2014

Fine Print?

I know that there is clearly a conspiracy where everything that has been written at the bottom of any contract in fine print is life threatening! This last week I had a situation where I felt so bad for a college friend who found out that fine print in life does matter. So yes I got rather bent out of shape that fine print writing could cost my friend lots of money and potentially get them in trouble.

I know that one of the worse feelings is to be searching in a parking lot for your car and come to the conclusion that it has been stolen or towed. I can remember ions ago when my Anne was visiting an older friend and doing a good deed. She came out of the little apartment late at night only to have a total scare when her car vaporized! She called the police and came to the awareness that her vehicle had been towed. There was a rather small sign in the parking lot that said you had to have a special tag to park there at any time. The oversight cost around $100 and this was 30 years ago.

Last week a college friend came home late from work and decided to be cool and back the car into the parking space. She had no idea that she had committed the unpardonable fine print law of the complex. The next morning she freaked when the car seemed to have disappeared. She called the police to discover like my Anne that the car had been towed. She calls up the towing company to discover that backwards parking was an illegal offense that could be punished by heavy fines and being towed. It was at this point that I received a text and then call about helping.

My wife decided to step up and talk to the apartment manager only to discover that there is fine print in the lease and a crumpled up sign in the front that were both so clear that there was no excuse for parking in the improper direction. The manager obviously was in on the take from the towing company so she ‘cut’ an attitude and made it clear that there wasn’t any recourse. It should be obvious that everyone would have read the fine print and that there wouldn’t any first time warning.

So why does anyone put up with having fine print in any form of contract or lease agreement? Why can’t life be clear and easy to understand? Why is it the case that most of us send mixed signals to family and friends where we will say one thing and then be the fine print person that comes back with a totally different explanation for the situation? Why would anyone purposely want to deceive or take advantage of someone?

I know that not everyone has an eye for detail or actually cares a lot. The challenge is that we live in a day where there are many out to take advantage and ultimately steal from the disadvantaged. I know that my college friend forked out almost $200 that day. I was outraged because this person had just gotten into the working world and was making it between school, life and work. I would love to be able to outlaw fine print and force everything in life to be in bold print if it is important.


Next time you pull into a parking area please make sure that you look at the fine print on the most obscure sign. I’m sure you will discover some type of archaic message that could cost you big time! The more important thought to finish is to stop talking and acting like you are fine print and don’t want others to understand you.

No comments:

Post a Comment