Saturday, September 13, 2014

Getting Old is Awesome?

One of my joys in life over the years has been walking or jogging around La Jolla Cove. I’ve been blessed to have lived in San Diego in the distant past but because of our relatives it is like a second home. Regardless of where we stay during our numerous visits each year I always go early in the morning to the Cove and go for a walk to enjoy the amazing view of the ocean and breathe in the ocean surf. We also typically stay at least a night or so in a small hotel in PB.

I admit that I’m aging this coming week and as I walked along the Cove this morning it was so neat to see so many seniors walking and jogging along the ocean path. I know that La Jolla is for the retired types who have the means to enjoy life on the beach. Yes, I admit that I can be jealous at times but I’m learning to enjoy the moment when I’m walking and taking pictures of the beach or beautiful sunrise or sunset.

I’m sitting at one of favorite breakfast places in Pacific Beach blogging. I’m fortunate to have snagged a table and can write for a little before getting the sense that I’m camping out at this table. It was interesting during my jaunt around the Cove to see so many that are living out of their vans or SUV’s. I know that my hippie side would love to do that for a week or so before realizing that this isn’t the life for me. The joy of getting old is being able to reflect on life’s journey and the many friends that have walked with you over the years.

It’s true that in some contexts being older gives you experience that allows you to help others avoid the obstacles in life that tripped you up. It’s sad to see someone you love struggle with life’s pitfalls and choose not to listen. I’m enjoying sitting and sipping on my Americano as I watch a vast array of people walk along the beach walk or eat their breakfast. As my birthday approaches I cringe at times to think how quickly life seems to fly by. I’m so blessed to have good health and only a few little blimps on my journey.

I often reflect on the lives of those around me who have difficulties that seem to overwhelm them. I watch kids and teens waste their lives too often because of circumstances beyond their control. It becomes tragic how many parents are totally wasted and expect their kids to rise above their poor choices. It’s sad to see how many people have allowed their circumstances to cripple them so they are unable to see each morning as an amazing gift to start live over. Instead the dysfunction of excuses of inaction seem to dictate the present mess and make the future questionable.

I’m still going to walk on the Cove even as I shed a few tears this morning over close friends that are struggling with family issues. It’s so easy to tell someone what they should do in a condescending fashion and really believe that this is going to fix that kid or spouse. The reality is that life is hard at times and all the cute quotes off the Internet aren’t going to necessarily help.


I’m blessed to have the resources to sit and type on my Mac Air and sip on this Americano. Yet, I have a responsibility, which hope others will share, to see the needs of those around me and choose to do something. The more important thing is becoming a good listener and not be so quick to give advice. My incredible partner has taught me so much about becoming a better observer and to definitely think a lot before opening up my mouth!

No comments:

Post a Comment